Week 1 – My Project

I am doing my international internship through Ubelong in Cusco, Peru, and my project is teaching English in a kindergarten. I chose this opportunity because I have always been passionate about Latin American culture, and I wanted to immerse myself while engaging in work that has a direct impact on the local community. After a walking tour of the city on the second day I arrived, it became evident the lasting ties to the indigenous Inca population in the architecture and customs in the city. Cusco was the cultural center of the Inca empire, and I look forward to learning more about the Incan traditions and history. As Cusco is a relatively touristy location, it is also very interesting to view the contrast between the many tourists and the flourishing indigenous population in the area. However, the majority of the indigenous population lives high in the mountains that surround Cusco, and as one local described to me, the general rule of thumb is “the higher up you live, the poorer you are.” Therefore, this population does not travel to the city often due to transportation costs. This is the same reason for the need of volunteer interns in the kindergarten where I have been working, which is located in the mountains above Cusco. The school runs solely on donations, and the students attend for free. Consequently, there are only enough funds to pay one teacher, making it nearly impossible to give individual attention to the students. I am very excited to continue working with the children and to see how much they learn!

4 thoughts on “Week 1 – My Project

The photos look beautiful! Sounds like a thrilling and challenging experience!

You know so much about Cusco culture already! It sounds so different from America, especially the school systems! Looking forward to reading more about your students!

I am happy to hear that you have been engaging with locals! I was there last summer and I found their insight to be the most valuable way to learn about the culture and to improve my Spanish. I also think that your presence in the classroom will be a way for students to get the individualized attention that they seem to be missing out on. Looking forward to reading more about your internship!

That’s a beautiful shot! The Cusco culture sounds very fascinating, I’m excited to read more about you experiences there, especially with your students!