A Week Before Departure | #1

14 years ago, I moved to the United States with my parents from Taishan, China. Since then, I haven’t been back to Asia, but this summer, I was accepted to an amazing program through Ross Global Initiatives. It gave me the opportunity to go to Singapore for two weeks and Hong Kong, the NYC of China and a short ride from Taishan, for eight weeks. I will be going to Singapore for a short study abroad program, but it was Hong Kong that drew me to apply to the program in the first place.

It’s a week before I depart for Asia, but I’m sitting here typing away, imagining all the things I would be able to experience. First of all, one thing I missed a lot about China was food. I miss real and authentic Cantonese food, and Hong Kong is one of the best locations for my favorite food. I’ve always imagined working in a big city and this was an opportunity that really drew me in. A few of my friends are also going to Hong Kong for other reasons. What’s more enjoyable than to explore a completely new, yet familiar, city with friends? Additionally, I would also be able to get to know the people on my program more and be able to build friendships through our mutual likings.

I believe this was a once in a lifetime opportunity. I would get the chance to explore two different places, one that is so close to my hometown – will probably be visiting! I would be interning at Atradius and learning more about what it means to work with insurance and risks. One day, I hope to become an actuary – that is, if I pass all seven preliminary exams – and I hope Atradius will be able to teach me so many skills my classes are not able to. Even though I could learn similar things in the States, I truly think that this program through Ross is not a door that will always be open. I am excited to learn more about the culture that is so foreign, yet familiar, to me. Also, my home church, Harvest Mission Community Church, has other locations in Singapore and Hong Kong, which would be another plus to my trip. I am a bit nervous now, but I can see this study abroad and internship program being one of the most memorable times in my life.

Note: Featured Image is not my own. I credit this fantastic picture to HK Express, as this was found on their website.

3 thoughts on “A Week Before Departure | #1

wow this is hype! I’m also attending harvest mission community church, hope we’ll run into each other there!

Wow, this sounds like an amazing opportunity to supplement your education in Ross with real life global application. It sounds like you’re planning on having a few side trips – I hope they’re really fun!

• May 18, 2017 at 3:18 am

Glad you are starting your internship with all these amazing surprises and positive energy! Hope you will have fun and learn a lot in Hong Kong!