Week 1- Getting Started

This summer I will be interning at the Canadian International School of Bangalore. I found out about this school, and the amazing opportunities they offer, through an office hours meeting offered by the LSA International Opportunity Hub. After going through the CIS website, I knew I had to work there! I started my job hunt looking for an international experience and CIS offered just that. The school is home to students of over 34 different nationalities and employs teaching staff from all over the world. Aside from being an international school, CIS is extremely unique in the learning experiences it offers. For the last 3 weeks of the school year students embark on a contextual learning journey. In brief, contextual learning allows students to explore their community through learning. My specific role at CIS is to accompany grades 7 & 8 through their contextual learning. Grade 7 is going to focus on the culture of Bangalore while grade 8 focuses on working with NGOs around Bangalore.

I have no idea what to expect while working with CIS. Preparing for this trip I poured over their website and watched videos of their students and of their campus. I just arrived at CIS a couple of days ago and my first day of work was yesterday. I still don’t know what to expect but I’m starting to get an idea of how this school functions!

In the handful of days I haven’t been working I’ve been getting to know the students. In the first three days I’ve been go karting, laser tagging, and playing endless amounts of soccer with the students. All the students and staff have been so welcoming I can’t wait to see how the next month unfolds!

3 thoughts on “Week 1- Getting Started

The students seem like so much fun! And CIS sounds like a great opportunity for students and you!

This sounds like an amazing opportunity to grow alongside other students. I bet this experience will be transformative for all of you!

I think interning at the Canadian International School sounds like an incredible experience, and as you said, it sounds like a very unique school. Based on your trip preparations, have you already found that the internship is much similar or different from your expectations? I look forward to reading more about your time in Bangalore!