Week 1- The beginning of an end

As a rising senior, Summer ’17 will be my LAST summer ever as a student. It’s hard to believe, but I have gone to every extent to make the most of it.

After a 8 month long-haul of internship searching, I decided on a biotech company, called Prenetics, in Hong Kong. The process for searching and interviewing was discouraging, tiring and endless. Long story short, one of my roommates had a cancelled flight last summer and talked to a guy on her flight who had interned in Hong Kong last summer. He gave her his business card, she kept it and handed it down to me. And the story unravels naturally from there on.

For the next 8 weeks, I will be working on the business development and operations side. As an aspiring Pre-Physician Assistant student, most people find it unusual that I would choose to spend my summer not working in a hospital. However, I see business as the backbone of healthcare. I hope to gain insights on how I can bring in my clinical experience to healthcare entrepreneurship and hopefully one day use digital health to shape the way patient care is approached.

In addition, interns and co-workers from different continents will definitely broaden my global network, which I’m looking forward to! Excited for what this cultural transition will bring!

2 thoughts on “Week 1- The beginning of an end

Hi Belicia!

That’s an interesting back story to how you found this opportunity. I hope you have a great time in Hong Kong! I will be there too, so we should definitely check out some great food places together!

Wow! I admire you for finding an internship that strays from what one would normally expect an aspiring PA to participate in and I think your perspective on it is phenomenal. I think you are going to develop a lot of valuable skills working with Prenetics that you will be able to use in the future both as a PA as well as in whatever else you do.