Post 1: Chennai

India is so much different than I expected. In Ann Arbor, getting to class or work is a simple routine, but here there are no sidewalks and the traffic rules are difficult to figure out. However, all this has been easier to figure out because of my local roommates. They have taught me how to get by in the city (where to get groceries and how to cross a street!) I feel like they know all the secrets of the city. From more typical Michigan like adventures (i.e. driving across the city to get midnight ice cream) to taking my first sleeper bus, my friends here have made India so much more of a home away from home.

As for my internship, things have been great there as well. I’ve gotten to know more about Indian food and Tamel culture. I have learned so many new words while making the layout of a book for them. The people at work are so friendly. They are always asking if I want to try things.

As far as what I am thinking about for the next 7 weeks… I can’t wait for more adventures. I have visited so many places in just 7 days. I think India has a lot more to show me before I go back hoMe.

2 thoughts on “Post 1: Chennai

It’s so great that your roommates were able to help you out! I remember when I was in India I felt really accomplished the first time I crossed the street successfully instead of feeling panicked (drivers are so good at sensing any hesitation!). I’m glad you have a supportive community, and it seems like you will get to learn a lot.

It’s so interesting how something so simple like crossing the street can be so different in two places of the world! Glad you’re enjoying yourself!