…..and it begins

Hello! If you’re reading this you are probably 1 of 2 people, a fellow UM student that is in the ALA class and just looking for an example of a blog or you find some sense of enjoyment living vicariously through another person’s internship. Or maybe both. Doesn’t really matter.

Or maybe both. Doesn’t really matter.

Doesn’t really matter.

As with every first entry in a blog post, let me introduce myself. My name is Bryant Vergara, I am a rising senior studying Computer Science at UM in the College of LS&A. I am currently working as a Patent and Venture intern at Schox Patent Group in San Francisco, California.

Wow that sounded wayyyyyyyyyyy too professional.

Lets dumb this down a bit.

For my sake, not yours.

…..

….

Moving up into the City (as it is so affectionately called, and yes, I know the capital C is very pretentious) has been a pretty daunting task. I actually moved to the Bay Area for my last 2 years of High School and graduated from Palo Alto High School right across from Stanford so I figured I’d know the area well enough for the transition to be relatively smooth.

How wrong I was.

If you’ve never moved to a big city alone before and are planning to, I recommend you find some sort of group that you can spend time with prior before making the switch. Also, be prepared to pay waaaaaaaaaaaayyyy more than you think you should for housing, particularly if you’re in California

For about $1,100, I am renting a small bunk bed on the floor, in a house of 8-9 people and while the guys there are pretty nice, it is hard to relate to many of them since not many of them are my age.

Then comes my first day of work. This internship sort of fell into my lap. I met my boss at UM as he is the Chairman of the board of the CFE at UM. He and I have been playing email tag since the summer of 2016 and offered to host me as an intern this summer.

Little did I know what was coming.

I walk into this cave of an office, windows covering the left sidewall and the wall directly in front of me. I am greeted by Steph, the COO of the Schox and then Jeff, the founder and head attorney at the firm.

I get situated and after about an hour, Jeff pulls me into the conference room and goes over the project that I’m going to be working on over the ENTIRE summer.

Coming from a tech background, I was expecting something a little smaller scale rather than a 3-month long project, culminating in a presentation for the firm. Needless to say, I was a tad bit intimidated.

For legal reasons, I can’t go into the details of what I’m doing (definitely not as secretive as I’m making it, but it’s my blog so I can do what I want), but essentially I am working on mixing elements of Jeff’s patent business and his future ventures.

I’ve been working here all of 2 days and I’ve realized everyone at this firm is infinitely smarter than I am.

Looking forward to the rest of my internship. To be 100 percent honest, I’m not so sure what I’m looking to get out of this internship. I want a lot of things. I want to figure out whether working at a law firm is really for me. I want to see what venture capital is like. I want to be curious, most of all, during this internship. I’m looking to gain the knowledge of everyone around me and just see where it leads me.

It’s going to be interesting to see how this one plays out.

One thought on “…..and it begins

• May 11, 2017 at 8:42 am

You forgot the third reason – You are the instructor who has compelled me to write this blog and thus have committed to reading my musings… or something to that extent. I enjoyed reading your thoughts, though I am left wondering… how do you plan to use this internship to grow professionally? What you hope to accomplish is [vaguely] clear.