New Beginnings #1

This summer, I will be interning at the University of Michigan as a research assistant in the Department of Otolaryngology. I will be responsible for investigating the role of various cell-regulatory proteins in HPV +/- cancer cell lines.

Entering college, I have always had a desire to conduct research. I first joined the Carey Lab back in September 2016 as part of the Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program. As a young, clueless freshman at an enormous university, I was eager to start exploring. I was drawn to this opportunity, because the idea of being able to create knowledge intrigued me. To me, conducting research is like solving a jigsaw puzzle without knowing what the final picture will look like. There are still so many mysteries in the world, and I want to help solve a piece of the puzzle and to contribute to something greater. Throughout the academic year, I was exposed to so many new things in the lab; however, there is still a lot I do not know. Therefore, I was thrilled to learn about an internship that would enable me to continue through the summer as a research assistant.

Many of the skills necessary for research translate directly to the outside world. Not only will this internship allow me to gain many integral skills for my daily life, but it will also provide the first steps towards a career in the medical field. Therefore, I am ecstatic to see what the future will hold and to begin this new adventure.

One thought on “New Beginnings #1

Can’t wait to hear more Lucy about your research, what skills you’re developing, and what insight you’re gaining from your time in the Carey Lab!