First Impressions | Post #1

It has been one day in Ottawa, and I am already amazed by the people I’ve met, places I’ve seen, and things I’ve experienced.
After waiting five long hours on Monday, I finally got my security badge and eagerly went up to my Member of Parliament’s office. The staff was extremely kind and welcoming, which made me all that more excited for the next five weeks.

Yesterday I had my first day of work, and it was everything I expected it to be–in the best way possible. I met my Member of Parliament, and she warmly greeted me. I can’t help but wonder if I would be able to say the same about working for a Representative in the United States!

I got to attend a press conference, a rally, and multiple committee meetings. I heard stories and testimonies of persecuted people in foreign countries and learned about how Canada frames its concerns regarding these issues diplomatically. It was an eye-opening first day to say the least.

At night, I attended a reception with other interns and to my surprise, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau attended and spoke. I was so excited to see him so up close!

My main goal for this internship is to gain a better understanding of Canadian politics and how this relates to the United States. I am excited to learn from my peers and colleagues. Here’s to the next five weeks!

One thought on “First Impressions | Post #1

You got to see the Prime Minister? That’s so cool!!