Week 2: Getting Acquainted

An Albanian University in the Blloku District

The past week has been about getting acquainted and finding my footing here in Albania. I am currently living alone in an apartment in a very trendy, young neighborhood. Many of the people here speak English, so finding my way around the city has been relatively easy, and I have been able communicate with mostly everyone around me. The biggest drawback that I am experiencing is the lack of companionship. It is a little bit of a struggle to find things that I can do alone. Tirana, the capital of Albania, is large and beautiful which is great, but I have never spent time in a city this large before. However, I will be joined by two other U of M interns tomorrow, and I couldn’t be more excited! I am starting to feel comfortable with my work days, and I am getting use to my own routine, so I am looking forward to more flexible and fun weekends with the other students. My work days have been mostly consisting of research and planning. I am working on my Medicinal Herbs project, focusing on a small mountain village, which is incredibly exciting for me. Additionally, I have been collaborating with my  supervisor about finding ways that my research could potentially help the people in the village. Right now, we are considering creating a small business in the village that can be completely run by the villagers and allow for more economic development. Promoting sustainability in places that I travel has always been very important to me, and I am grateful that I have found a way to incorporate it into my life here in Albania.

2 thoughts on “Week 2: Getting Acquainted

It’s so great that you’re taking your projects one step farther and incorporating it into the community! And the picture looks really cool!

• May 16, 2017 at 1:26 am

This is an incredible experience, and it sounds like you are making ways to stretch your time further to benefit others. Your work sounds very meaningful, and having time alone in a new city sounds like a great way to get acquainted with it and with yourself. Best of luck!