What to do?: Goals for a Courthouse Intern #1

My name is Lizzie P. and I am a rising junior at the University of Michigan. In February I got an internship at the Washtenaw County Trial Court (http://www.washtenawtrialcourt.org) for Summer 2017 with a judge. As I begin to prepare for my internship, which starts Monday the 22nd of May, I decided to lay out a few goals for myself based on Randall S. Hansen’s article, Making the Most of Your Internship (link). It is not always easy to identify goals before you have been exposed to the work you will be doing, but there is one basic thing I hope to accomplish: having regular meetings with my supervisor. Although it does not sound epic, I believe having these meetings will allow me to make the most of my time at the courthouse. How, you ask? By having these meetings, I will be able to develop a one-on-one relationship with my supervisor, establishing a mentor-mentee relationship that will help tailor my work to my capabilities. Furthermore, I believe these regular meetings will allow my supervisor to give me critiques specific to my work and help me learn more about improvements I need to make. I hope these meetings will also show my desire to work hard and improve, while allowing me to ask for special tasks and pitch ideas about additional work I wish to tackle to my supervisor. Going off of this, another goal I have is to “leave with tangible accomplishments” and a solid network of connections. If I am able to gain these two things from my experience, I believe my professional resume will be that much stronger. Also, I will be able to look back on my time at the courthouse and feel proud of the work I have done there and the people I have met. In sum, I am going to prioritize these two goals throughout my internship at the courthouse, and by the end of this summer, I should be able to tell you that I have accomplished both. Wish me luck!