Cusco, Peru #2

So, in my first post I was distressing and speaking about my frustrations. But that has not been my entire trip until now. I have gotten to know the city and walked around. People are nice and kind. There is plenty of beauty in the city. The food is simply delicious and priced reasonably! I even got to savor once more what is called sugar cane.  The first sugar mill in the New World was established in 1516 in the Dominican Republic, my country of origin. The need for a labor force to meet the growing demands of sugar cane cultivation led to an exponential increase in the importation of slaves over the following two decades. You can learn more about the Dominican Republic in here.

Anyways, there was a period of my childhood when I lived in “el campo” or the country side/farm and the sugar cane I tried here in Cusco, brought some memories back. But it is too sweet ! Also, almost every dish here has rice or potatoes or worse, both! Not good for my diet but so good for my tongue. The altitude affects me the most when I’m going uphill or even if there is a small incline (which is everywhere). I’m always out of breath. I do not know if it is because my asthma, sinusitis, or lack of exercise. So I signed up for the gym this week. Very nice and decent gym; 15 minutes walk (it feels more than that because of the altitude). Speaking about health, I had to visit the clinic because I got really sick. I got x-rays, was attended promptly, the facility was new, clean, and luxurious compared to everything around me. And most importantly, my team leader/coordinator went with me. An internal medicine specialist saw me and I’ve been on antibiotics for 4/5 days I think. My maxillary sinuses were basically clogged. So I’m in that weird process of sneezing, coughing, and getting everything out my system. I have kept copies of all the medical transactions and will be contacting GEOBlue insurance in the near future.

2 thoughts on “Cusco, Peru #2

Tiuska I’m happy that your experience is going better. Your pictures are quite beautiful and it was very interesting to learn about “el campo.” It can take a few weeks sometimes to get used to the altitude, but you are being proactive and resilient. Your team leader sounds like a wonderful support for you as well. Feel better soon!

I’m glad everything is getting better for you! Is there a particular food or experience that you really enjoyed?