Startup Work Culture | #2

Buzzvil, which has its main office in Seoul, Korea and global offices in Taiwan, Japan, and New York City, is a mid-sized IT startup company with only 60 people. Before joining Buzzvil as a marketing intern, I had worked in several global companies such as Standard Chartered Bank, The Boston Consulting Group, and Ogilvy & Mather in Chicago. However, this is my first time to work in a startup company.

Buzzvil has been running its business for over 5 years since 2012, and its mission is to develop an effective advertising platform on mobile phones. Since then, Buzzvil has been growing as the largest lockscreen advertising platform in the world after acquiring Slidejoy from the United States.

As a startup, the work culture at Buzzvil is very vibrant and fluid. One of the most interesting cultures at Buzzvil is that we would randomly switch our seats by a draw in every 2 months. Because every one’s seat is assigned randomly, we would usually sit next to different team members. Now, I have two developers sitting next to me, and due to the random seating system, I was able to stay close to those who are not in my team.

The startup environment is definitely more lenient than in bigger corporate companies’. There are no dividers between co-workers, no private rooms for CEOs, lack of hierarchy in titles, and everyone can raise one’s voice in any circumstances. I strongly believe Buzzvil’s unconventional job culture has boosted the cooperation between member with different teams which has improved the office dynamics and work efficiency.

One thought on “Startup Work Culture | #2

Glad to hear you are enjoying the startup work culture of your internship. Thanks for sharing pictures of the office, Patrick!