Week 2- Into the Big Leagues

Although only a week has gone by, it feels as though I have been through a months’ worth of experiences! My role in the school is pretty well solidified by now. On a normal day, I will shadow an ESL teacher, a Social Studies teacher, and an English teacher to gain a better perspective on what goes on in the classrooms at CIS.

I have also been able to pick up extra responsibilities as well. For example, today I had the opportunity to manage a group of 5th graders as they prepared for their transition into 6th grade. I had to take the students from class to class and make sure they weren’t getting rowdy with each other. Leading up to this task I was nervous, for this was my first time actually managing a group of students on my own. However, the schedule ran smoothly and the students really seemed to like me! After managing the 5th graders I got to manage a class of 8th graders while their teacher was away. When I walked into the class I was horrified because they had chosen me to manage a Hindi class. I don’t speak Hindi. Not only were these students older than the 5th graders but I had no idea what was going on in class! Despite my worrying, it was actually a great opportunity! I lead the students through a reading exercise and everything went smoothly, the students even had time to do extra homework!

I have also been engaged in a lot of prep work for the contextual learning experience. The main teacher I will be working under for CL (contextual learning) has taken me, as well as the other intern, to sites where the students will be going during CL so we can help set up games and scavenger hunts for the students to partake in after they’ve toured the site. This was the most unique experience I’ve had in India so far. The sites we visited are in the heart of Bangalore and capture the culture of Karnataka. These site visits were my first time really getting to explore Bangalore by foot.

I have also finally solidified my role in the CL experience. I will be working with the 7th graders as they focus on the culture of Bangalore and Karnataka. My main job is to lead the students in journaling their experiences. I have been told that journaling is the least liked aspect of CL and that the quality of the student’s journals in the past have been subpar. I hope I can turn that around. I have been working on a creative writing workshop to help give the students an alternative to the old way of journaling. I’m also working on a public speaking workshop for the 8th graders so hopefully, I will be able to inspire the students to become excellent speech givers.

All in all, things are busy, but I’m really enjoying my work at CIS!

3 thoughts on “Week 2- Into the Big Leagues

Costa I can’t believe all of that has happened in just one week! I’m glad that although there were some surprises that you were able to move with the changes and it seems that the students are enjoying your presence in the classroom. The journaling project sounds like a good challenge to learn from as well. I hope we can see some pictures of your school if you’ve taken any!

• May 14, 2017 at 9:47 am

Whoa looks like you’ve been able to take on some huge responsibilities and leadership roles! Sometimes the unexpected forces you to learn more! Glad to hear you’ve been having some amazing learning opportunities!

It’s really great that you’re stepping out of your comfort zone to take on these new tasks! It can be nerve-wracking, but it sounds like you’re doing an amazing job with the students!