1 | Meeting Melita in Mumbai

So. Where to begin?

Here I am in Mumbai with two days of interning and three days of food poisoning in the books!  It feels strange to be back in India. Last summer, I spent eight weeks backpacking this beautiful country. I am trying to imagine what it will be like to stay in one place this time around, but I have found it quite difficult to conjure up an image in my mind. It all feels just so… overwhelming. Even exhausting. Mumbai is full power crazy. Traffic. Pollution. People. So many people. So much sun. Too much sun. Trying to wrap my head around the fact that I am not here to travel this summer; I am here to intern. I am here to do good work. This requires a different approach, one of which will produce different interactions between myself, my work, and Mumbai.

The first two days of interning were spent getting to know my boss, Melita, as well as getting familiarized with the work sites–two primary schools (one Muslim, one I believe is unaffiliated?), a Catholic church, TATA Institute of Social Sciences, and a corporate, air-conditioned, high-rise office (the cubicle type). So much to take in. So much juxtaposition. Mumbai in two words? So much.

Tomorrow Melita and I will be hosting a workshop for the girls we are teaching computer programming to. We will be hosting the Society of Women Engineers at the two schools in hopes of inspiring the girls to pursue math and science. A little inspiration never hurt. I am excited to get to know the girls more, and I really hope the Girls and Science Project helps them to see their true potential as intelligent and valuable humans.

Alright. The heat is getting to me again. Fingers are literally sweating on the keyboard.

Until next week!

Bri Yeskey

4 thoughts on “1 | Meeting Melita in Mumbai

Kudos to you for spreading the joy of math and science! I am, however, sorry to hear about the food poisoning. While that has never happened to me, that must be pretty crappy. Hope you are feeling better! Mumbai sounds incredible if not a bit overwhelming. Excited to hear more!

Traveling and interning are definitely two different experiences! But I have no doubts that you’ll be a great inspiration to the girls, and maybe you’ll come to enjoy the craziness of Mumbai! Feel better soon!

That sounds like a lot! Remember to take time for yourself (in the shade or A/C), and hopefully in a few weeks you’ll have settled in a little more. Even something as simple as crossing the street can be sensory overload, but I’m sure your travel experiences in India will help bridge the culture shock. Good luck!

I hope you have a great time in India, Bri!