Ottawa #1

I am currently participating in the Ottawa Internship program. It is about a five week program that provides University of Michigan students (and anyone else that applies) the opportunity to work with a Member of Parliament in Canada. In doing so, students are given the opportunity to learn and work for a political system different than that of the United States.

I decided to apply and participate in this program because I am fascinated by all types of politics and public policy. The opportunity to work and gain knowledge as a part of the personal staff for a Member of Parliament in Canada, a great ally of the U.S., was too great to turn down.

The first week has been a blast. Every day has brought new experiences and challenges. On my first full day of work, I met the whole office, including the MP. They were so welcoming and delightful that my excitement for the next five weeks augmented profoundly. At night, I attended an Asian Heritage reception and got to hear Canadian’s Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, speak. It was an exhilarating experience and I have seen him numerous other times since that first day.

I am hoping to learn a great deal about Canadian politics and its form of government during my time here. More specifically,my goal for the program is to learn so much that I become an unofficial ambassador for U.S.-Canadian relations.

One thought on “Ottawa #1

It’s so great that you’re able to learn more about Canadian politics and potentially apply and compare that knowledge to American politics! Since you’re working so closely with the staff, you should look into an informational interview with someone! It’s a great way to sit down and talk/learn about their specific job and perceptions 🙂