The Future | #1

Some think that locking down an internship is the difficult part of the process, while others think that doing the job well is the hard part. To me, the most challenging part of an internship is setting goals in order to get the most out of the experience. Just like when I was little, setting goals helps to guide me through different stages of my life–be it post high school, the pending post college, or even further in the future. During my summer internship, the goals I set will help me to accomplish what I set out to do at the beginning of the process in February.

My biggest goal of what I hope to gain from my internship this summer is learning if this position is something I want to do following my graduation in May. Working in the sports industry has been a dream since I was in high school, when I came to terms of not becoming a professional athlete. I have worked hard over the last three years in school to make contacts and reach out to people to learn about their experiences. In addition to the cold calls, I had a first hand experience last summer working with a minor league baseball team. I loved it. Gaining another year of experience in a different realm of the sports industry will allow me to gain insight on whether or not I can fulfill this dream full time.

Networking and practical experience are what I hope to accomplish this summer. Especially within the sports industry, I have found that the biggest way to break in is through “who you know,” not “what you know.” So, by talking and connecting with every member of the office, I will be able to build those relationship that can aid me in pursuing this dream full time after graduation, and even further in the future. The second half of what I hope to accomplish is practical experience, which seems like a silly goal for an internship. But what I found last summer, where I gained an unreal amount of practical experience, is that at some position you do not have the same opportunity. I am hoping throughout the summer I am able to watch the full-time employees work and learn to be able to do what they do–be it sales, contract fulfillment, or just managing relationship with clients. Learning these skills builds on the experience that I gained last summer, allowing me to develop that skill set even further.

This summer will be a new experience. I won’t be running around throwing t-shirts or chasing mascots around a baseball field. I will have the opportunity to network with people in a unique realm of the sports world and learn their side of sports. I am looking forward to what is to come in the next 12 or so weeks, and seeing how much I can accomplish and learn.

One thought on “The Future | #1

Glad to hear that this summer will offer insight that can build upon your 2016 internship experience. I look forward to reading more about your internship journey, Grace!