Blog One

Finally reached India! This summer I am interning with ANKURI, a foundation for women empowerment and underprivileged children’s development, under Rachna Dushyant Singh. As a part of this program, I will teach young students English along with other classroom activities like crafts, music, and dance. I arrived in India last Tuesday and reached my destination after 44 hours of travel. My group and I congregated at the airport and we left for Dehradun, India Wednesday morning. I expected a dormitory style housing but the other interns and I were welcomed into beautiful, traditional, castle-like house. Our rooms are magnificent with spectacular views of the Himalayan mountains. The food here is also very good.
Right now, I am most excited about meeting the children and teaching. I visited the schools and got the chance to speak with a few kids. The children are as excited as the other interns and me. I expected the children to be a little hesitant but they are very engaging. Through this internship, I hope to hone my communication and interpersonal skills. As an aspiring healthcare professional, I want to be able to build people skills while working with young children. I also want to gain a different perspective on the world. The people here are living a very simple life away from the hustle-bustle of the world. I want to enjoy the serenity of this part of the world. Finally, I want to hone my Hindi speaking skills and get a chance to eat authentic Indian food.

The group at the school we are teaching at.

2 thoughts on “Blog One

This sounds really cool, Noemi! I’m glad that your living area exceeded your expectations and that the kids are equally as excited as you are! Similar to your hopes of improving your Hindi, I am also hoping that I learn some French while I’m in Canada! Have fun!

I’m glad everything turned out better than you expected, especially after 44 hours of traveling! I’m sure this experience will be amazing and hopefully you gain the skills and perspectives you’re looking for!