First Week in Ottawa

Today marks the end of my first week in Ottawa! Over the past seven days, I have learned about Canadian parliament, attended receptions, and explored the city and restaurants.

My internship:

During my time in Canada, I am interning for Joyce Murray, the Member of Parliament for the Vancouver Quadra. In my office,  I am helping with constituent letters, answering phones, writing social media posts, and attending office meetings. I also have the opportunity in my office to go to question periods, committee meetings, and other events happening around parliament.

This is my first time working for a government office and although I was expecting it to be very busy, I was still surprised to see how fast paced the office is everyday. One minute I will be working on one task and the next minute I will be running across the street to attend a meeting or drop off materials for my MP. I always feel like I am trying to catch up, but I enjoy the energy.

Highlight:

On my second day in the office, I attended the Asian Heritage Reception after work. At the reception, Prime Minister Trudeau came and delivered a small speech. I was lucky enough to shake his hand and take this photo of him! It was exciting to meet such an influential figure on my first day and I hope to see him in the future.

Overall, during my first week I learned my way around parliament and I look forward to seeing where the rest of my time here takes me!

One thought on “First Week in Ottawa

Your first week sounds really cool, and I’m so jealous that you got to shake Prime Minister Trudeau’s hand! Do you think your office functions any differently from a typical office setting?