Goals for my Internship

The whirlwind of clothes, shoes, and other various items that I somehow found a reason to stuff in my now precariously full suitcase that had cluttered the house for the past week is finally starting to calm down as I near the end of my last day at home before leaving for my internship in Bangalore tomorrow. I don’t know if it will really feel real until the wheels of the plane touch down in the Bangalore airport, but in anticipation for that moment I find myself today filled mostly with excitement, but surprisingly some nerves as well.

Having most of my family in Bangalore and having been there multiple times definitely works in my favor. I am fairly familiar with the area and will not have to overcome much of a culture shock. However, this will be one of my first professional experiences, and I’m not really sure what to expect. It’s because of this uncertainty though, that I’ve made one of my goals for this internship to just focus on learning. I tend to get overly preoccupied with being perfect, with making sure I’m doing everything right the first time, but for this, I need to tell myself that I’m here to learn, I’m here to experience Bangalore in a new way, and I don’t have to come in and know everything immediately.

I want to make sure I ask for help, I soak up as much knowledge and experience as possible, not just in the office, but in the city as well. My visits to India have always been quite sheltered, and this time I want to push myself outside my comfort zone. Most importantly though, I want to make sure that I am cultivating both professional and personal relationships during these eight weeks. This is an incredible opportunity, and as I get ready to leave tomorrow, I want to make sure I come back in July knowing I made every second worth it.

Rhea K

Interning in the summer of 2017 with Mahindra First Choice in Bangalore, India.

One thought on “Goals for my Internship

It’s really great to hear your goals! Fully experiencing the city and making the effort to push yourself is really important and it’s awesome that you’re taking the steps to get the most out of your internship! Good luck and I’m excited to hear how everything turns out!