India x Raymond part 1

I am in India. Wow.

Sometimes, it doesn’t feel real. Like when I wake up and I can only see inside my room and I check my phone and the usual notifications pop up and I just had a dream about Michigan and I forget for a second I’m in India.

But other times, it is very real. Like when I’m outside, and it’s a 110° F, and everyone is outside in long pants and long sleeve t-shirts like it’s no big deal. Or when I’m at the train station, and there are more people there than in my entire town back home. Napping, begging, taking care of their young ones, and all of them staring at us. We are white. We are the different ones.

Yes. Overall, India is very real for me, and it’s very wonderful. But the internship — the real part of my trip — has yet to start. Yes, we have seen the schools where we’ll be teaching English, met some children, and talked to the principals about when we’ll hold summer school. We’ve planned some lessons, downloaded songs to play, and made registration sheets. But school hasn’t started yet. Until I am in front of twenty-odd 8-year-olds trying to give them instructions in a language they don’t understand, I don’t know that it will ever quite be real.

Goals for the first day of school:
• Survive
• Keep the kids occupied until their parents come back
• Talk to the students in English
• Figure out how much English our students know

Goals for internship
• Survive
• Talk to the students in English
• Learn a bit of Hindi
• Have fun

Today is the first day of registration for ANKRUI summer school. Also, we are going to put up posters for registration. So, it may seem our timing is a little off on the posters, but Rachna (our host) said not to worry about it. It’s all a part of IST (Indian Stretchable Time). It’s a beautiful 100° morning today. What more could I want?

4 thoughts on “India x Raymond part 1

Wow, your experience so far sounds astonishing! Was it strange to have everyone stare at you? Good luck with your internship, I’m sure you’ll teach the students a lot!

Raymond, that really sounds like a shock to the system! It’ll be so interesting to get used to the heat, crowds, mountains, etc., although it is difficult to deal with the public gaze. That’s something that I never quite adapted to when I was in India. Your internship sounds like it will be challenging, but really fun as well. One teaching method that works well for teaching a foreign language is Total Physical Response – perhaps look it up, or feel free to email me if you want more information!

Heat, crowds, dark-skinned people, teaching kids English. Perhaps your summer visit to Indonesia was good preparation for this. I remember on my first trip to Indonesia, our plane stopped in Irian Jaya and we watched some locals perform a traditional dance. I too asked myself, am I really here? We’re praying that you continue to survive and have many more adventures.

Glad to read your blog, Raymond. Best wishes!!!