Blog 2

Two weeks into my time in Cambodia I feel like I’m beginning to hit a stride. Work’s gone well so far. As a new member I’m mainly doing busy work, but starting to get real work like covering an art exhibition and writing a daily online article. Socially, everyone I work with seems great. We went out for drinks after work Friday and I got a better sense for who everyone is. Pretty typical expats – like me – it seems. Tired of their home countries, most of them came to Cambodia as a backpacker and decided to stay.

The expat community here is very small, which is both something I’m not used to, but quite enjoy. Everyone knows each other and there’s really only one respectable bar street for those of us here on an extended stay. That stands in rather stark contrast to the many bars for backpackers. However, I, and it seems most others with jobs here, tend to stay away from those areas. All in all it’s been an adventurous, educational, and joyful couple of weeks.

2 thoughts on “Blog 2

It sounds like you are really starting to get into your routines and your work! I had a similar experience to you last year in Taiwan regarding the bars – there weren’t any really where we lived, and the ones that we did find were targeted to expats/were empty. I’m glad that you are learning a lot and having a good time. Have you gotten to meet or talk to more locals?

I’m glad work is going well and that you’ve bonded with your co-workers! Everything sounds like a really new, exciting experience! Looking forward to some pictures 🙂