Expectations and Surprises | Post #2

I have always considered myself a political junkie. However, I was surprised at my lack of knowledge in international politics (but I also partly blame this on biased media that often promotes a pro-Western narrative). After one week of my internship, I already feel like I have learned so much about international issues. Also, my Member of Parliament happens to be the Vice Chair on the Subcommittee of International Human Rights, so naturally, I am learning about these situations regarding human rights abroad every day.

This experience has also given me a perspective on the United States right now. It is interesting to gain this view from an outsider`s perspective. As expected, this internship has given me a better gauge on where I stand in my political beliefs. I feel that every day, I am becoming more well-versed on the issues I care about, and I enjoy this atmosphere of being surrounded by passionate, politically engaged individuals who motivate me to do the same.

Another surprising thing is the amount of access we have as interns! I`ve been lucky enough to attend various committee meetings covering a variety of issues and receptions honoring different groups. These experiences have made for a well-rounded, wholesome internship that I am grateful to be a part of.

5 thoughts on “Expectations and Surprises | Post #2

Evon, I’m glad that your internship experience has been so hands-on, almost like you are a MP yourself! It sounds like it has already deepened your understanding of international affairs in such a short time and it’s amazing to think how this experience is shaping your future goals. I’d love to hear more about how your perspectives on the world, the US, Canada, yourself, and more are changing in the future.

It’s really great that you’ve learned so much and that you’ve been able to get the full experience. I’m also really curious about your new perspectives on the world and the US!

I think it’s really interesting that you realized your lack of knowledge in international politics although you are a highly politically-active individual due to our biased news system. It’s so cool that you have already learned so much – sounds like a great experience!

• May 22, 2017 at 9:09 am

Evon, this is awesome!! Glad you are having such a great time of fun and learning in Canada and become a staff-pick writer now!! Go blue!

Evon, I totally understand. I’m working in an international campaign now in New Zealand and I am appalled by how little we know about NZ or Australian politics in comparison to how much they know about US. I also understand how views can be shaped by different party/ political views!
    Sounds like a really amazing learning experience!