Expectations for India – Blog #1

My internship is in Pune, India at the Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER). I will spend a little over ten weeks on a summer project with the microbiology research lab. My reasons for pursuing this specific opportunity are that I have never visited India, I want to experience research in another lab aside from those at the University of Michigan, and one of my good friends spent four months in Pune this past fall and highly recommended traveling there. My first reason alone is enough to personally justify my choice, however, the other reasons are added support and are a greater reason for my excitement and curiosity surrounding the visit.

During my time in India, I hope to learn new lab techniques and compare lab practices between India to those back in the United States. I think it is an interesting exercising to see how standardized the processes truly are between vastly different locations. Additionally, I hope to make substantial progress on my research project and gain in-depth knowledge on a new area of study. Ideally, I would have the opportunity to speak with many members of the lab to learn about the other ongoing projects I may not have the chance to participate in. I am very excited to make the most of navigating my experience.

2 thoughts on “Expectations for India – Blog #1

• May 20, 2017 at 11:52 am

This is so cool!! I’ve always wanted to go to India. What kind of research will you be doing? I’m actually a microbio major – looking forward to reading more about your experiences

I’m glad you’re able to expand your interests in research while visiting a new place! Hopefully, India will be a great experience for you and maybe you’ll see some other differences in addition to the lab techniques!