Making the Most of My Internship | #1

Like people in most situations, you come in to them with expectations. Before my first day working for Mean Joe Advertising in my hometown, I came in a few expectations of the clients, the work space, perspective projects, and the culture. Located in the small town of Chagrin Falls, Ohio, Mean Joe Advertising is a full service advertising agency that started in 2012. With just 4 total employees (including myself), I wasn’t sure exactly what I would be able to help with since my employer has practically ran this company with many big clients on his own. But after my first day, I realized the small team and newer business is a actually a huge benefit for my learning experience. I get to see the ins and outs of a business, from top to bottom. I will be doing a variety of tasks from sales, answering phones, creating storyboards, managing social media accounts, attending client meetings, and creating marketing proposals for clients.

Getting guidance from this article, https://www.livecareer.com/quintessential/internship-success, has lead me to create a few goals and tangibles I want to take from this internship experience.

1. I want to be able to design and produce a video from start to finish. This first goal is something that I have done in the past. However, I have done it for myself, and when I worked for a client, I only participated in part of the process. I want to get the experience of working with a client, understanding the needs and goals of the video, and working together to form ideas and execute them. I want to learn the process from start to finish. Now this goal, is in the process of being accomplished. It will be a long process, but I have already started brainstorming ideas on a few video ideas for their social media account, which my employer is letting me be in control of. This experience is an important learning experience because I will learn how to take instruction and be my own leader, while still accepting guidance on the way. In any work place, I will be working under someone, so it is important to learn to ask for help when needed, but to also take your own action and make decisions and create on your own.
  2. I hope to gain experience in communicating more effectively and efficiently. I want to learn how to communicate my ideas with people clearly. If I want to be able to pitch my ideas, I have to gain experience in presentation. Not only for forming a confident presence, but to also present my ideas in a way that people will understand. I am used to getting jumbled and have a hard time conveying the images I see in my head through words to someone else. With practice this will get better. And I know that this internship will present me with many opportunities to present my ideas to clients, coworkers, and boss.

Ultimately, I know I will be gaining a valuable experience, that will benefit me in my future opportunities. I cannot wait to see what projects I will be doing throughout the summer!

edeanna

I am a Communications student at the University of Michigan. I love singing, graphic design, and anything creative.

2 thoughts on “Making the Most of My Internship | #1

It’s nice that you’re trying a completely different experience and having such a small team will help you have a stronger bond and hopefully work together even better. You have really succinct goals and I hope that you are able to achieve both of them by the end of your internship!

It sounds like you will have an opportunity to make positive contributions across multiple departments. I look forward to reading more about your internship experience!