Work culture | #2

Before starting my internship, I did not consider work culture to be an essential component for job. After having the chance to meet a lot of kind, considerate, and genuinely nice people at my workplace, I realize that having a positive work culture is something that I need to consider in the future. Being able to arrive at a place where everyone pays attention to me and asks how I’m doing is something I didn’t expect to encounter as an unpaid intern this year; nevertheless, I am lucky enough that everyone I work with spends time showing me how their jobs work and spends time getting to know me. My employer values positivity and always believing that others have good intentions. I think these are important qualities for a workplace to have, and I am happy my workplace makes these qualities a priority for employees. For me, I think effective communication and respect are also important in a workplace. Even if I didn’t have the best ideas, I would want my colleagues to respect me. I think that would help me grow professionally.

The physical workplace environment is small, yet it has a feeling of positivity. Since I work for a newer department that will grow in a few years, there is limited office space currently. This is not as bad as it could be since many people spend most of their time working outside of the office. I am not entirely sure what my work style is, however, I feel like I have adapted to the work style environment well. Since it is small, it is not overwhelming, and I kind of have an idea about what everyone is working on most of the time. I am not sure if this is the style I will start my career in, since the career I want to go into does not typically take place in this style of setting.

Unfortunately, I am not able to share pictures because I don’t want to compromise patient information (because my internship is in healthcare) or break the confidentiality contract I signed.

One thought on “Work culture | #2

I agree! Having a positive working environment is really important not only for your success, but also because it makes you want to be there. I work in a really great research lab, but am applying to grad school elsewhere. I’m really worried that the working environment won’t be comparable. I’m glad you’re enjoying your environment and look forward to learning more about your experience!