1| Something Old, Something New

My first week on the job went by in a flash. It isn’t my first time in Germany, nor even in Berlin, but the experience itself is brand new and refreshing. If there’s at least one thing I’ve figured out, it’s that I still have plenty to figure out!

Although we’re just begun our work for the summer, I’ve already found the material to be extremely interesting and, best of all, it’s given me the opportunity to learn many new things. What I love most is being able to drawn connections and relationships with concepts I already know and have worked with and combining them with these new topics. On top of this, my boss and her colleagues have been very warm and inviting, and our office space is beautiful. That being said, I’ve realized I have many research skills to build and improve upon! Doing academic literature searches in particular seems to be an art form in and of itself, one I hope to master before the summer is over. Being hands-on in this experience really makes one appreciate the time and effort that goes into academia in general, and especially published works.

As I said previously, this is not my first time in Berlin, but it already feels like a different city to me compared with last time I was here. I feel a little more permanent (not staying in hostels) and I really look forward to getting to know Berlin in a more intimate way. In addition to Psychology I also study German, so I’m quite thrilled to have the chance to practice my skills every day. I’ve been keeping a journal with new words I encounter daily and I’m pleased to say the list is ever-growing. Despite it being the largest city I’ve ever lived in, Berlin feels safe, friendly, and like home.

All in all, my first week has been as perfect as it possibly could be. I look forward to a summer in which I’ll be able to strengthen not only my research skills but my German ones as well, and hopefully make some good friends along the way.

3 thoughts on “1| Something Old, Something New

It’s nice to hear that even though this isn’t your first time in Berlin, you’re having a completely different experience! This just shows the various experiences and emotions just one place can bring. Though your studies don’t exactly line up with your interests, learning something new is always exciting!

I’m so glad to hear that your first week has been great! In my experience, it is always wonderful to be able to build upon skills one has already obtained, but as you’re certainly aware of, there’s always more to learn! Hopefully this will be a wonderful learning experience for you, and one that can give you skills needed to focus on wherever your interests in Psychology do lie! Good luck 🙂

It’s so awesome that you’re able to take what you know and enhance it based on what you learn! It sounds like you’re having a really great time and I hope it continues to be a learning experience! Excited to see pictures 🙂