3: The Locals in Macedonia

As I mentioned in my previous post, one of the toughest parts of being here and working has been the language barrier. I have learned a few words and manage to get by fairly well; however, I definitely do not, as of yet, contain the capacity to hold a conversation of any substance. This also means that it has been fairly difficult to meet many locals and get to know many people here. With that being said, I work with some incredibly kind people who were born here and in that way, I have learned quite a bit about living here especially during this turbulent period in time.

What I have learned most about the locals here in the limited amount of time I’ve been here and with the little I’ve been able to interact is how proud Macedonians are to live in their country. People here are hopeful about how the political situation can be and incredibly hopeful that things can change for the better. This, of course, is not accounting for everyone who lives here, but for most of the people I have spoken to, such as the taxi driver excited to show someone who has never been to Skopje the beautiful areas of his city, the museum tour guide that knows so much history about this place, and the NGO staff who are fighting to make the country they live in a better place, this seems to be the case.

I am looking forward to meeting more people who live here and learning more from the locals as well.

One thought on “3: The Locals in Macedonia

I’m glad you’re adjusting a little better! Learning a new language can be really difficult, but I’m sure you’ll get the hang of it! It’s so interesting to hear about the locals; it’s something I never would’ve expected! Be safe, and I’m excited to read more!