Week Two in Rural Japan | #2

I have found myself working a routine that looks absolutely nothing like what I have ever done.  I remember my good friends and my family joking to me about how this internship sounded nothing like me or anything I would ever choose to do. I would have ended up interning at a fashion company, at a social media company, at a school, or for an artist. That’s where I thought I would end up. But here I am on an isolated peninsula in rural Japan. Tending a furnace and washing dishes. And I couldn’t be mad about it if I tried. I am finding a side of myself that I rarely get to see or interact with. I am able to focus on tasks, problem-solving in real time, and so on. I get to see immediate results of my labor and I’m getting to do it while learning a new culture and practicing another language. It’s been fun and I’m finding a lot more out of it than I thought I would, and a lot less than what I expected at the same time. I am starting to learn what it takes to be diligent and stick to something until you get it, no matter how much it takes. I am tending a furnace every single day. I feel like I must be unique among interns in this program in being able to say this. It’s making me a better person I should hope.

2 thoughts on “Week Two in Rural Japan | #2

It took a lot of courage to do an internship that was completely new and unfamiliar, and it’s so, so awesome that you’re enjoying it! You’re really making the most of what you’re doing and that’s something many people (like me) can struggle with. Excited to read more about your time in Japan!

• June 1, 2017 at 11:43 am

Thanks so much for your kind words, nice to have support!