Ottawa #2

It has been 2 full weeks here in Ottawa and I am amazed at how much I’ve learned in such a short period of time. From doing research to attending subcommittee meetings, learning experiences are everywhere in the political hub that is Ottawa, Canada. Since my Member of Parliament is the Environment Critic for the NDP, I have had the opportunity to learn more about the possible policies that deal with cutting back on greenhouse gas emissions. It has been fascinating and I can’t wait to learn more.

I did not realize how much different the Canadian style of government, the parliamentary system, is to the American system. I understood the structural differences, but I did not realize how different the parliamentary system shapes the political atmosphere in the community. In my opinion, there is less vitriol directed towards politicians in Canada because the electorate almost always votes on party platform, not the personalities of politicians.

I just returned from my weekend in Montreal, which was a great experience. I got to see numerous famous sites, including the Basilica and the Biodome, each of which provided me with more knowledge on the culture of Montreal, old and new. I loved the city and can’t wait to go back!

Looking forward to many more memories in the upcoming weeks!

One thought on “Ottawa #2

It’s so interesting to hear the differences between Canadian and American government! Now that you’ve experienced both, do you have any style preferences? Glad you’re enjoying your time!