Week One: The Beginning

In mid-February I received word that I had been granted a position as an Executive Intern at INCroatia in Rijeka, Croatia. Three months later and I can officially say that I have finished my first week of work.

My journey from JFK to Zagreb airport began with a 2-hour flight delay, a missed connection, 7 hours in Heathrow airport, a re-scheduled flight with two layovers opposed to one, and a sprint through Frankfort airport to be the last one to board my flight to Zagreb. After embracing the chaos that international travel is, I am happy to finally be settled.

So far, everything has been going well. I have continued to remind myself of the reasons that I decided to take this internship, the reasons that I have moved away from the United States for 2 and 1/2 months.

First, I wanted to expand myself as a human being. I have lived in an apartment 40 hours from home for the past two years while at Michigan (I’m from NY), and consequently decided that it was time to really see how capable I was of living on my own. 

Second, I wanted to appreciate life differently than I ever have before. I have never worked a desk job, I have never spent more than two weeks in another country, and I have never been immersed in a language that I could not make out at all. These are all things that I am glad to say this internship will allow me to do.

Last but not least, I want to become close with those that I work with. As a small company, INCroatia has seemed to be incredibly close knit and has already begun to let me into their circle. I am hopeful that I will establish a meaningful relationship with my coworkers and boss that I will be able to maintain past my short time here.

As I reflect on my experiences in Croatia thus far, I recognize that I had been more nervous than I had lead on. Of course I was excited, but I was also nervous for what was to come. I am ending week one enthusiastic about what is to come over the rest of my time here and motivated to satisfy my goals.

One thought on “Week One: The Beginning

You set really great goals! This internship at Croatia is a great way for you to go out of your comfort zone, experience new things, and build lasting relationships. Good luck 🙂 don’t be nervous!