Blog Two: A Day in the Life of an Ankuri Intern

Working at ANKURI is a unique experience. My day begins early in the morning with a delicious breakfast meal. Some days, we eat continental American food while other days we try traditional Indian cuisine. After breakfast, the other interns and I head out to the schools to teach English, crafts, and music. Currently, for the first couple of day, we also spend some time registering students before beginning our classes. The first picture shows us getting ready to register students at one of our schools.
After registration, we get ready to teach. Our lesson plans mostly follow a sequential pattern of teaching English, doing arts and crafts followed by a daily dance routine or Zumba lesson. The next picture shows all the interns doing Zumba with the children. Most children look forward to this part of our daily lesson! The third picture shows an arts project that the children did in one of the classrooms. They created miniature bodies of themselves as part of our identity theme for the first week.
After our classes in the first school, we head back home for a delicious lunch, which mostly includes authentic Indian cuisine. After lunch, the interns rest for a while and take a break. Later, we get back together to create a lesson plan for the next day. The fourth picture shows us making posters for our classroom décor in our office. This is followed by teaching at our second school in the evening. The second school is for slightly older students and requires a different set of lesson plans.
At the end of the day, we eat a delicious dinner, discuss our days, take a break, play some games, and go to bed. But, sometimes, we go out for mini excursions or events. The fifth picture was taken at an Indian wedding that we got to see. The sixth picture was from a mini excursion further up the mountains in the Uttarakhand region of India.
Overall, an internship day is full of activities and social interactions with different people, which is very different from my daily life at home. Internship day is also slower paced compared to my fast-paced college life.

3 thoughts on “Blog Two: A Day in the Life of an Ankuri Intern

It sounds like your days are packed! I’m glad the kids like the lessons you all plan, and that you get to take breaks to visit the city around you. Do you have a favorite excursion or event so far?

• May 28, 2017 at 8:52 am

Yeah, I loved Agra; got to see the Taj Mahal and I am really excited to got to Rishikesh (traditional and old town near our work site).

• May 28, 2017 at 8:53 am

I also really enjoyed going to a Punjabi wedding!