Getting Started! | Blog Post #1

Today, I attended orientation for my internship on the Abdul for Michigan Gubernatorial Campaign. Although I had previously volunteered on other campaigns, this will be my first experience actually working hands-on and playing an integral role. During this internship, the bulk of my responsibility will be in a grassroots setting. I and other interns will be on the ground, talking to citizens and voters, organizing registration drives, etc.

I don’t want to go into much detail (day one and this internship has already been a plethora of firsts, including my first time using the Slack app to connect with my fellow interns, and my first time having to sign a non-disclosure agreement!), but what I saw today just drove home for me why I believed in this campaign and wanted to sign on to work with Dr. El Sayed and the others on the team: the focus, even now 15 months before the primary election, is and will continue to be on the people of Michigan. I’ve always been all about public service, it’s where my heart and my passion lie. My goal since I was 10 has been to go to law school, and the older I grew and the more politically informed I became, the more I realized that I wanted to use all of the information and skills I gained through my years at school and my work experience to better the world around me, no matter the scale.

That said, I am incredibly excited to get started on this campaign. I look forward to gaining and honing skills that I can apply further as I go on in my career. I look forward to working with people who genuinely want to better the state of Michigan and the lives of the people who call it home. I look forward to being a part of something I believe in.

EDIT: I have never used WordPress before so I didn’t even realize that I didn’t publish this until someone pointed it out to me. Whoops! For the record, I started my internship on May 22nd.

One thought on “Getting Started! | Blog Post #1

So glad you are able to work in a field in which you are passionate and that you’ll be able to develop your skills even more!