PSIP in Washington D.C. | #1

This summer I will be living and working in Washington D.C. through UM’s. Open to all LSA students of any major, PSIP is a highly selective program that prepares selected students for a successful summer interning in Washington D.C. After attending biweekly PSIP meetings for the past two semesters, and filling out more than fifty internship applications, this weekend I will move to Washington D.C. to begin two very different internships.

At the Smithsonian Office of Policy and Analysis, I will be working full-time to assist their research efforts. The OP&A conducts research on behalf of all nineteen Smithsonian museums. Research ranges from audience feedback on the newest museum exhibits, to the feasibility of a program to increase Native American engagement and employment within the Smithsonian system. As a summer intern, I will have the ability to work on a number of research projects with every member of OP&A’s full-time staff. Interns in the office are also responsible for obtaining guest surveys and feedback, so I will be spending some time each week directly engaging with visitors at all of the Smithsonian museum in D.C.

My second position will be at SEED SPOT, a social entrepreneurship startup incubator originally based in Phoenix, Arizona that recently debuted their D.C. office. As “D.C. Community Cultivator”, one of my responsibilities will be writing articles highlighting all of the startup companies participating in SEED SPOT’s programs. These programs are designed to assist startups in becoming successful companies, and SEED SPOT boasts an impressive 80% success rate for the startup companies that have gone through their program. My other main responsibility will be coordinating “Venture Thursdays”, a weekly pitch contest for SEED SPOT program participants to practice their company pitch in front of an audience of industry experts. I anticipate this will be a fast-paced and exciting position that will bring me outside of my comfort zone.

While work will definitely take up a lot of my time this summer, I am looking forward to getting to know my PSIP cohort better and taking advantage of everything Washington D.C. has to offer!

One thought on “PSIP in Washington D.C. | #1

So glad you have successfully begun your internships Avery! I can’t wait to hear all about both experiences and maybe even how they might be similar to one another. Great start!