Second Week – Misconceptions

This week has been one for the books. Not only did I get to learn more about Canadian government, but I got to explore a new province in Canada. I spent the long weekend in Montreal, roaming the city with my new friends and finding new places to eat and see. Over the two weeks, I have learned that there are many misconceptions about Canada, therefore I want to discuss how different Canada is from America.

Many people in Michigan and other parts of the United States say “Canada is just like America,” and I never knew if they wrong or right. After being here, I can say with certainty Canada is much different than the United States.

1. Language Difference

To begin, the language difference. French and English are used equally in many parts of Canada, and unlike America, there isn’t a stigma if you only know French or English. In America, if you only know a language that is not English, you are often thought as less intelligent or cultured. However, in Canada, from what I have experienced, there is no stigma for only knowing French or English.

Also, everywhere you go, there are signs, menus, shows, and books in both French and English. In parliament, you can wear earphones that translate French or English in real time. I like the inclusive behavior and mentality of Canada, and wish it was the same in America.

2. Diversity

In parliament, Canada makes an extreme effort to diversify their representatives, cabinets, and leaders. They are very progressive and acknowledge there can be more to do to better the representation in government. In American government, there is an extreme lack of female and minority group representation.

I look forward to the rest of my trip and learning about the unique qualities Canada, Canada!

2 thoughts on “Second Week – Misconceptions

• May 23, 2017 at 5:15 am

That’s great to hear about the diversity measures they take in their government. Maybe the U.S. can learn a thing or two from Canada. Thanks for sharing!

I know I’ve had that misconception about Canada, so I’m really glad I read posts like yours that prove me wrong. It’s so cool to hear about how diverse and inclusive Canada is; it kind of makes me wonder if America could take steps towards that!