The Beginning

Hallo!

It is currently 8:31pm on a Tuesday night, and I am ready for bed. A week ago today, I was on a plane flying to Berlin, and with me I brought a sleep schedule so sporadic I wouldn’t even call it a “schedule.” After six days in Berlin, and four days on the job, I have quickly fallen into a normal pattern reminiscent of my mom’s Eat, Sleep, Work lifestyle.

Here in Berlin, I am working in a psychology lab at Humboldt University. Before I left for Germany just about everyone was asking me why I decided to do this internship, and you know, I have no idea. I am not a psychology major, my German is very, very bad, and I am terrified of big cities. Yet, here I am, living by myself in an apartment where strangers come and go and there is no shower curtain. I guess what it boils down to is this: I don’t know what is going to happen to me in the end. For all I know, tomorrow could be my last day (but hopefully not because I have that GeoBlue insurance, amiright). For that reason, I need to do things that make me terribly uncomfortable, so here I am. Terribly uncomfortable.

I expect nothing out of this internship. This is an amazing opportunity that I am incredibly grateful to have, but to ruin it with my expectations would be a disservice. If I could gain anything, though, it would be people. Back at Michigan, I am surrounded by the same kinds of people due to the social group I am in. Here, I am around people I never would have met or talked to if I hadn’t taken this opportunity. Whether it be the person in the room next door in my airbnb, my coworkers, the other Michigan students in Berlin, or just the other citizens of this beautiful city, I hope that I learn from them all and grow because of it.

I wish these next 11 weeks to be unlike any other experience I have ever had. With a city like Berlin at my fingertips, I feel like there is nothing that I cannot do. Let’s see where this takes me.

-Claire

2 thoughts on “The Beginning

Ahh, this is great. No shower curtain! Too funny. In India, a shower is considered a bucket. Good luck with the internship, and congrats on getting your blog featured in the newsletter! 🙂

I hope the internship goes well! The project sounds really interesting.