Thoughts on my Internship Opportunity #1

Coming in to my internship, I encountered many firsts: the most significant one being that this is going to be the first time I’m not within driving distance from home. I’ve been in Michigan for most of my life. Everything I did told me that I was growing up and that there was no slowing down. Coming to New York, you would believe that I was wide-eyed and bushy-tailed, stunned by the weight of the Concrete Jungle. Rather, it felt weird and different from what I expected. There was a sense of discomfort, but a question of whats to come. I was drawn to this opportunity because I believe it will teach me a lot about myself and vital skills relevant to the industry. I am a summer investment banking analyst and I wanted to get some flavor into IBanking before my junior year. I knew how the hours would be and the work I would be doing. Our orientation was short and sweet, and those I will be working with have made a good first impression. On my first day, I was dropped into a pile of work, but the analyst made it manageable for our first day. I was honestly relieved to have gotten out at 9pm – I was even able to go to the gym.  The idea of working hard doesn’t faze me, and I actually believe that keeping myself busy helps pass the time. Even though it was only the first day, I think that I won’t have too many dull moments, and will extract a good level of respect for the work because it has a real and tangible impact on the business.

One thought on “Thoughts on my Internship Opportunity #1

• May 27, 2017 at 2:50 am

Thanks Calvin for an inside look at the first part of your internship and your experience with living away from Michigan for the first time. I look forward to hearing more about your impressions of New York and your experience at your internship!