Leadership #2

I’ve been fully immersed into the culture and lifestyle of Torrent Consulting this past week. My first week was filled with meetings, both virtual and in person. I was able to connect with a number of my colleagues in different areas including sports, people, political views, and technical knowledge. I’ve been assigned a very large and open ended task of developing an application and I’ve learned a bit about leadership in the process.

The biggest thing I learned is that it is difficult to maintain leadership qualities when you’re new amongst people who are so much more knowledgeable than you in the field. I’ve learned to adapt to this by not hesitating to ask questions. I do not try to hide the fact that there are many things that I don’t know, and instead, go out of my way to be as resourceful as possible and come to a solution as fast as possible. This has strengthened my leadership skills by forcing mly out of my comfort zone when the easy solution is to keep my head down, find the solution my self, and ultimately waste time.

I’ve learned so much professionally useful information in just one week and I’m excited to keep moving forward and expand my skillset.

Go Blue!

olapayo

I am approaching my final year as a University of Michigan undergrad. I am currently interning at Torrent Consulting as an application developer. I major in informatics and hail from Milwaukee, Wisconsin.