1. First Day in Zagreb, Croatia!

Two days ago, I was in China on a CGIC GCC trip – safe, happy, and guided by the group. But since yesterday, I had to truly travel around an unfamiliar city. Thankfully, my arrival started off well thanks to the other intern at my placement being at the apartment a few days earlier. I’m so relieved he found a guided city tour – it was a fun way to start my first day in Zagreb and get familiar with the city. Because of it, I felt more confident walking and navigating around the city after he left for a weekend trip.

I tend to procrastinate nervousness/other feelings before a trip. Two days ago, the reality of coming to Zagreb and working at my internship at GONG was still far away. But now that I’m in the city and alone to wander in my thoughts, I find myself just a little anxious about these two months coming up. What if I don’t meet their expectations? What if my work style doesn’t match up to them? What if my apartment-mates think I’m too weird?

I have the comfort of my experience last summer, where I was exposed to an office desk job internship for the first time. But even with the experiences back then, Zagreb is a whole different playing field, and I hope that I can adjust accordingly.

I’m just going to take this one little hurdle at a time. And thankfully, I already feel better about one – buying and cooking food!

2 thoughts on “1. First Day in Zagreb, Croatia!

• May 27, 2017 at 2:42 am

Kimberly, thank you so much for your honesty in your post. Many of us have some of those same thoughts when we start something new or arrive at a new place. But you have suggested such a great place to start for anyone who is trying to acclimate to a new environment: food! Good for you and we cannot wait to read more about the start of your internship!

I feel the exact same before a trip. But it definitely can make it much easier if you have another intern with you, and the food to comfort you! You’re going to do great!