D.C. Diaries | #1 – Freer|Sackler Galleries, Smithsonian Institution

After months of forms and fingerprint appointments, I was finally able to begin my exciting Curatorial and Public Programs Internship at the Freer|Sackler Galleries, Smithsonian Institution this week. Over the course of the next three months, I will be working across departments on both individual and museum-wide projects, many of which relate directly to the re-opening of the Freer gallery section of the Museum in October. In addition, with the guidance of a senior curator, I will research the gallery’s Japanese art collection and assist other staff members with tasks related to future events on the National Mall. While I applied to internship programs at a number of museums, I was particularly drawn to the Freer|Sackler as during my senior year of high school, I was a part of the inaugural Freer|Sackler Teen Council. Collaborating with a number of other high school students to develop youth and teen engagement with respect to the museum, I learned to effectively engage with my peers while assisting with the Turquoise Mountain exhibition and its programming. On August 4th, I helped to coordinate and facilitate the Teen Council’s inaugural event, “The Freer|Sackler Night of Lights.” Exit surveys revealed that out of the 290 people who attended the event, 76% percent had never before visited the Museum. My firsthand experience working directly with Museum staff members was especially meaningful as it exposed me to the nuanced efforts of the curatorial and education departments that, in concert with public programming, encouraged repeat visitorship. As I return to the Freer|Sackler this summer, I look forward to furthering my experience from last year and learning even more about the intricate processes behind museum administration.

2 thoughts on “D.C. Diaries | #1 – Freer|Sackler Galleries, Smithsonian Institution

Wow! What an amazing opportunity Evan. I can’t wait to hear how your internship helps to deepen your knowledge and stretches you over the summer.