Divorce Law may not be that Bad | Informational Meeting 1

Maria Backman

ALA 225 101 SP 2017

26 May 17

Blog: Informational Interview 1

Before setting up this meeting, I was open to all practices of law because I did not have a clue in what it was that I wanted to pursue. After attending a weekly Chamber Meeting in Midtown, I networked with a couple attorneys who were more than willing to sit down with me and discuss their endeavors and experiences while pursuing law. I scheduled a meeting with an attorney whose practice was one of bleak interest, Divorce. Now don’t get me wrong, it is a lucrative field and business is always “booming” at least in the country, I did not think I would be able to be an instrument in something so depressing as a divorce. It was almost a taboo in my eyes. But the attorney was very welcoming and had a laid-back vibe that made the area of practice seem less dim. In meeting with him I learned so much and walked away with ideas on how I would like to start my pursuit in law. It was easy to connect, he too, was a student-athlete in college and knew a ton about sports. Like most attorneys once graduating from law school, he worked at a big firm.  Practicing in criminal law for 6 years, he was constantly around the litigation aspect (sort of like Law & Order), working on cases involving street crimes, drug deals, and domestic violence. He then went to start his own small firm with 2 partners focusing on Personal Injury, Medical Malpractice, and Divorce. He reiterated the common theme that most attorneys have expressed to me of hating working for a big firm. The lack of interaction with people and the stock piles of paperwork were all determining factors to go smaller.

I found some of his suggestions and advice extremely helpful in which he told me; apply for a prep course before taking the bar and in my last year of law school to get involved in a legal clinic. In doing so, while others are drudging the endless court cases and lectures you must attend in school, these clinics give you work experience in the field you want to practice in and you receive school credit for them too. It’s a win-win! After the meeting, I left with a better insight on my own career plan and with a less harsh view on the practice of divorce, I was fortunate enough to even be offered an internship there. It was a great experience and overall helpful with my understandings of law.