First Week: Check

Overall, I give my first week a B.

Today is the last day of my first week, and it’s only a half-day so that we can get a head start on the long Memorial Day weekend. This is something I love about the company already. The laid-back culture where I can dress like I’m late for my 8AM class, the free snacks, the open environment where I can stand up and see the desks of the SVP, VP, and Director of my department, the “Give a Damn” motto, and “No Asshole” policy. I love everything about the culture! No one has asked me to get them a cup of coffee either, so I would say that’s also a good indication of what the next 3 months will look like.

My team members have been so welcoming and helpful, and I can only say good things about everyone who works on my floor.

The one reason I give this week a B, which is also a challenge I foresee, is working with other interns. I feel like unlike the culture that this company presents, many of the interns (especially those who have recently graduated from undergrad), are in a competition to get a full-time position at the company. Instead of working together and delegating work, many of the interns try to take on double, or triple the load that others are taking on. As I know my department does not extend full-time offers to students who have not yet graduated undergrad (me), and therefore I just want to get to know everyone and have fun, this has been quite stressful to deal with. However, aside from this little “situation,” which I hope will end soon, I’m so excited to continue working here!

I had some doubts at first because I declined an offer where I could live at home and have a car to commute and instead chose this company in Maryland– this is my first time in Maryland, I had to look for housing, and have to commute via public transportation. But I am pretty positive after this first week that I would not be as happy if I were at the other company. And hopefully, that thought won’t change.

One thought on “First Week: Check

So glad that you made the right choice for you. Hoping that the situation with the other interns will improve and that there will be more camaraderie formed. Looking forward to hearing what grade you give week 2!