How to Find the Local Warsaw Music Scene Without Really Trying | Post #2

Step 1. Ask your boss for venue and event recommendations.

Step 2. Wander into random cafés your boss tells you about

Step 3. Sit back and watch the tunes unfold before you.

In all seriousness, I am having a little trouble connecting with the local community. Although most everyone speaks English, all signs and menus are in Polish. That being said, my advice for anyone else in a foreign country would be to depend on your coworkers. I have gotten a lot of advice on what bands are playing in the city and what bars and cafés they really like from people at work. Part of this is because I work at a Polish culture website so most people at work are very arts oriented but there is not shame in asking for advice at work.

I have officially been in Warsaw for a week now and I have already been to three or four local music shows just from what I’ve found on Facebook events. Connecting with the local community, in my opinion, is crucial to a memorable experience abroad. What is the point of going to work and then staying at home until the next work day? Get out. Explore the city. Get lost and find a random café to hang out in while you find your way home on your phone. From there, talking to people who live in the city is much easier.

As a parting note, I would recommend everyone check out the band Paula and Karol. They’re an indie folk/pop duo from Warsaw. I saw them live tonight at the Palace of Culture and Science and they had amazing energy (and they sing in English which is a plus for comprehension)

2 thoughts on “How to Find the Local Warsaw Music Scene Without Really Trying | Post #2

It seems like you’re doing a great job connecting with the local community! Not everyone would actively search for the music scene like you have, and talking with the locals is only one way to connect to the community. I applaud your efforts to engage with the community 🙂

Matt, that sounds like an easy way to check out the music scene! Have you downloaded the Google Translate app? There’s a feature to download a language file, which then allows you to translate via your phone’s camera. That might help with the Polish signage issue. 🙂