One Week Down! [#1]

First day on the job!

Well, I’ve been in the City of Stars/Angels for a week, and I’m incredibly happy with how it’s going so far! After my superhero mother (thanks, Jill!) helped me move into my apartment in Culver City, I began my new job as a Development Intern at Red Wagon Entertainment! At Red Wagon, I read incoming screenplays and books (that have the potential to be adapted into screenplays) and I provide coverage for them, meaning that I write summaries and provide my commentary on the projects. So far, I’ve read a cheeky autobiography, a zombie movie that had almost no zombies in it, and tragic love story that had me almost in tears at my desk – never mind all of its clichés…

What’s so great about Red Wagon so far is that it’s such a small and intimate work setting that you get to know everyone at the office very well! I’m thrilled with the opportunities that this internship has given me to get my foot in the door in the film industry. Plus, my goal is to become a screenwriter, so it’s wonderful to be able to read other people’s work to get a feel for what kinds of stories may work cinematically, and which ones may not.

While I’m in the Golden State, I’m going to try my best to use my free time to explore all that LA has to offer, while still working on other creative projects. Although I foresee myself getting homesick, I know that home is only a phone call away, and that I’ll get adjusted to this new life quicker than I expect!

Madison F

Madison (Maddie) Fyke is a rising senior in LSA, pursuing a double major in Screen Arts & Cultures and Communication Studies. This summer she is interning at Red Wagon Entertainment in Los Angeles.

3 thoughts on “One Week Down! [#1]

This sounds like such a fun and amazing opportunity! Reading other screenplays will definitely be inspiring and helpful as you begin a career as a screenwriter!

Sounds like you are off to a good start. As soon as I hear from Zach about a possible visit I will be able to set something up with you. How long do you plan to stay in CA?

• May 28, 2017 at 12:17 am

This sounds incredible! LA is an amazing city and I’m sure you’re going to have a great time. If you like sushi, make sure to try Sugar Fish! I wish you the best of luck with the rest of your internship and future screenwriting career!