Adventures in Rural India Post #1

Hello! My name is Xavier and I am participating in U of M’s India Internship Initiative program this summer. This summer I’ll be working with Swami Vivekananda Youth Movement (SVYM) working at a rural school 5 hr outside of Bangalore, India. It seems pretty far from civilization, but the people here are very hospitable. During my time with SVYM I’ll be directing an English drama with 20 students while also helping teach biology. What drew me to this organization was the impact SVYM has on the state of Karnataka, India. SVYM participates in a host of project from education, health, and service. 

I’ve only been here for about a week, but it’s already been a culture shock for me. I didn’t think people could be this nice to a total stranger. SVYM has welcomed me with open arms and the children at the school even call me brother in Kannada ( the local language). One thing that has surprised me about south India busy it is. There is always something going on even in a rural town where am. 

One thought on “Adventures in Rural India Post #1

It’s great to hear the community is so welcoming to you. And your internship sounds like such an interesting mix of arts and science. Excited to read more and see some pictures 🙂