Diversity | #3

Although there isn’t extreme racial diversity where I am interning, there is a lot of diversity in ideas and opinions, as well as in backgrounds and experiences. A lot of administrative work I have witnessed has involved many people who have different opinions. On one hand, I can see how this much diversity in a team of staff members would cause projects and meetings to be less inefficient than if everyone always agreed with each other. On the other hand, there is a distinct increase in quality of work when there are many diverse opinions. For example, whenever a handout is edited, it ends up sounding much less confusing if many people read it. In addition, some people have been involved with the department longer than others, so they know what works and what doesn’t as far as reaching out to patients, etc.

A specific time in which diversity is essential is when my department reviews patient cases. Every week, the manager and the head doctor meet with a nurse practitioner, a social worker, a psychologist, a pharmacist, etc. to ask them for their opinions on how to care for specific patients better. So far, these meetings have been very interesting to attend! I look forward to going to more of them throughout the summer.