Mean Joe Means Business | #2

Supposedly being a millennial means that I have no knowledge of classic rock bands. And this fact became glaringly obvious when I was handed a word scramble puzzle at work. The puzzle was from a mail-in contest designed by my boss for a client back in the 90’s.

To me, this is example is the best way to describe the work culture at Mean Joe Advertising. We work hard, but are also welcomed to have fun. I believe that this type of dynamic work environment is an integral part of the creative process. I personally find it most difficult to sit in front of a screen and tell myself “be creative”, then have some wonderful idea come from the back of my mind. But having an environment that lets me relax, and use my brain in different ways, I find it easier to come up with ideas, when they aren’t essentially forced out of me.

For my boss, this work environment is important to him as well. He wants all of us to be able to learn as much as we can this summer, which means he is taking us on “field trips” that are not required for me to be at. Though, I am not useful for a commercial shoot at this stage of the internship, watching and learning more about live television, video production, communication on a production team, and costumer relations, are things that are important for me to observe so that I can take these skills and use them in future projects and career.

The office is a trendy space, in a beautiful location next to the falls. The open floor plan is both pleasing the the eye and encouraging for the mind. Having an open space, allows for everyone to communicate to each other more easily; you don’t have to leave your desk every time you have a question, you can check in on projects with each other, and keep each other in check. In any workplace, I believe that it is important to have someone that is visible to you, so that you can be accountable for your actions, and not slack off. I believe that most people can relate when I state that people are more likely to ‘relax’ and slack off when they no that no one is watching them.

In the end, Mean Joe Advertising is not only a great company to work for, but a great place to work. Every lunch break, I cross the street, eat lunch by the waterfall, and walk around the river. When I come back inside, I go back to my desk and enjoy the sunlight that is always shining through my window. Every so often, a co-worker will show me something funny they found in the company’s drop box from old advertisement commercials or ads. And possibly the most important thing I accomplish is one or two words of bands I’ve never heard of every couple days or so.

edeanna

I am a Communications student at the University of Michigan. I love singing, graphic design, and anything creative.