Recap of My First Week in a Startup| #1

A work before going into my startup I was in a bootcamp hosted and sponsored by Hacker Fellows. The bootcamp gave us tips and trips of working with a startup and  gave us a technical training to get us prepared. It met other interns who were also going to intern at a startup in Michigan and I made awesome new friends. The bootcamp was a week prior from May 21 which was my start date for the startup that I’m interning which is Ripple. The first day on the job was fun since I had my table and working with the boss who was just nearby made communication so easy if I ran into any issues. As a new software developer I was worried that I would not be able to complete the tasks in hand but in reality I was able to do them. I was mainly focusing on fixing bugs and adding small features to our software which so awesome to see. I use many tools such as Bitbucket and etc to communicate and show the status of my code.

I overthink a lot of things in life but taking this internship made me happy and gave me confidence that no matter what in life always pursue the things you enjoy. Throughout the bootcamp and my first week of my internship I heard from both sides of developers which were the self taught and those who got a degree in Computer Science. That at the end of the day a technical skill can be picked up and don’t limit yourself and as long as your pursue more knowledge you will be fine in life. This was relevant to me since I made a switch from Computer Science to Cognitive Science and I thought this would back fire in the future. But at the end of the day the way you pursue your goals will determine what you will become.

2 thoughts on “Recap of My First Week in a Startup| #1

Do you think the school prepared you well to jump right into the startup and work or were their many aspects that you needed to adjust?

• May 28, 2017 at 12:56 am

Personally I think I made the most of my personal experience with startups came from the student organization I was part of which was optiMize. I think school taught me at least the fundamentals of computer science but not any real world applications. In the end you make most of it.