“There and Back Again: A Pumford’s Tale” II

Three weeks ago I arrived in Ottawa, Canada.

The best word I can use to describe this internship is that of a dream., so I was relatively comfortable with the general environment, but even my time living did not prepare me for the amazing experience I would have working on Parliament Hill.

It’s fascinating walking down the hall where legislation is passed, talking with individuals that guide the future of millions of Canadians.

My work has been quite interesting. At the beginning I was working very intensely, trying to understand how Canadian governance works. I have researched and written a series of blogs, an opinion article and letters to parliamentarians.

I remember the first meeting I attended with the Senator – there were a dozen film crews filming the committee meeting we were attending! I was so shell-shocked…it was my first day at work!

We have also had the opportunity to attend museums, meetings with the US Embassy, Supreme Court of Canada and The Speaker of the House.

My favorite experience was traveling back to my hometown, Montreal! We spent the weekend there – it had been years since I had been there. I had the fantastic opportunity to walk Montreal’s ancient streets, rediscover its sights and tastes, and meet with old family and friends!

Overall, this internship has been an incredible experience! I feel a little small walking through the ornate halls of Parliament, but with time I could get used to it!

#ThereAndBackAgain

2 thoughts on ““There and Back Again: A Pumford’s Tale” II

I’m glad you’re enjoying your time and that you’re able to revisit your hometown! As someone interested in government, I’m very jealous of your internship and that you are able to experience so much of the Canadian Parliament. Did you find anything different about your hometown?

Yes and no! In the past I had always visited with my family, so my understanding of the environment was quite superficial. So, being able to come and experience the city on my own definitely gave me a deeper appreciation and understanding of it! But, at the same time I felt like what I did remember hadn’t changed a day from what it used to be!