Week 3- Calm Before the Storm

This week has been the calm before the storm. For the most part, my experience at CIS has been pretty laid back; I’ve done endless fun activities with the kids including go karting, laser tagging, and playing countless hours of soccer with the kids. However, next week, as the students enter the contextual learning aspect of their curriculum, my job truly begins!  Starting May 22nd, I will be facilitating a group of 29 seventh graders through their last 3 weeks of school. I’ve been told by the other teachers that the seventh graders are one of the rowdiest groups on campus so I can’t wait to jump in and get some valuable facilitating experiences! My concern heading into CL is the power balance between me and the students. My goal is to be the fun and fair teacher; however, I don’t want to be too lenient for I feel the kids will try to take advantage of me.  For the past 3 weeks, I have been shadowing teachers around the school and watching their teaching techniques so I can synthesize a technique of my own. I already have day 1 of my CL facilitation planned out and I can’t wait to implement it!

Despite this week mainly being a prep week for CL I still had a lot of interesting experiences! I had the great opportunity to work one on one with some students as they prepared to recite poems for their final poetry project. One student was really struggling so I spent nearly a half an hour with him helping to prepare his poem. At the begging, he barely remembered any of his poem and when he recited it no one could hear him. However, by the end of our time together he could recite his whole poem verbatim, as well as speak in a strong dynamic voice that boomed off the stage. Watching him recite his poem in front of the classing using the tactics that I showed him was my first true teaching moment! Within 30 minutes I watched this student transform in front of my eyes, I don’t think I will ever forget that experience!

With that experience in the back of my mind, I can’t wait to begin working with the seventh graders and guide them through their CL journey.

** This blog post was written for the week May 14th-20th, The post for week May 21st-27th will be uploaded tomorrow. Also, I have tons of pictures to share in the next post!

One thought on “Week 3- Calm Before the Storm

It’s so amazing that you were able to see that transition! It can be the most rewarding feeling watching your work come to life and benefit others. It sounds like you’re doing a great job at your internship!