New beginnings | #1

I’ve been in Berlin a week and a half and I started working a week ago. This place is a completely different world.

My internship is located in Berlin Mitte, or.. translated.. the middle of Berlin. Right downtown. It’s a cool spot. I’m working as a software engineering intern, specifically on iOS applications. The company I work for is a German firm/agency that produces applications and mobile “solutions” for other German companies and clients. They’re essentially a consulting and development firm.

The only reason I’m able to afford to be here is because I very fortunately have some extended family in Berlin. They’re helping me out with my arrangements, getting me a place to live with friends of theirs, and helping me get my bearings in this brave new world. This is why I targeted Berlin specifically. My job is in iOS development because I’m most well versed in that and it’s a high demand niche, yeah?

My goals for the internship are just to learn as much more about development and its technologies as possible. My goal for the summer in general is to improve my language skills as much as possible. (It’s not easy. The first few days I felt a real acceleration and now I feel I’m plateauing. People speak so quickly you can’t even make out the words, much less string them together into coherent, meaningful thoughts. Well…. in time. I’m only through German 102 anyway.)

2 thoughts on “New beginnings | #1

How long will you be in Berlin? There a few others from Michigan also in Berlin interning right now 🙂

Through August 24th!